Are you familiar about the ongoing debacle about toxic ingredients in skincare products? Well, they are true. Every day you get exposed to different types of chemicals, most of which gets absorbed into your body. As the industry is highly unregulated, there’s no telling what chemicals and heavy metals the manufacturing companies are using to create the products men and women use daily. Studies have shown that some synthetic chemicals used in the products are skin irritants, endocrine disputers, and even carcinogenic.
The only way to ensure healthy skincare is to look for toxic ingredients while buying skincare products from the market. While we cannot discuss each harmful chemical, here are four of them that you should highly avoid.
1. Endocrine Disruptors: Studies have shown that paraben can mimic estrogen and cause hormonal disturbances and possibly even breast cancer.
2. Cancer: Researchers have found the presence of parabens in 99% of all cancerous breast tumors. Even the researches are inconclusive, but paraben is suspecting to cause testicular cancer among men as well.
3. Disrupts Fetus Development: Absorbed through the skin of pregnant women, paraben can cause hamper in the growth of the fetus. Also, it can reduce sperm count in men rapidly.
1. Skin and Eye Irritant: Both Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) is known for their capacity to irritate skin and eyes. If used for a longer period, sulfates can cause itchy skin, eczema, dermatitis etc.
2. Interact and Combine With Other Chemicals: The most potential threat about the sulfates is their ability to interact with other chemicals to generate nitrosamines, a known carcinogen.
3. Kidney and Respiratory Damages: If skincare products containing sulfate is used for a long time, it can damage your kidneys and respiratory system.
1. More Sun Damage: Mineral oil does not get absorbed into the skin. Instead, it remains on the surface of the skin, which causes more discolouration and skin damage.
2. Clogs Pores: As the oil sits on the skin, it attracts pollutants and other free radicals and clogs the pores of your skin, making it prone to acne.
3. Contaminated with Toxins: Researchers have found out that skincare products containing mineral oil are a source of mineral oil contamination among women.
1. Clogs Pores: By enhancing follicular hyperkeratosis, comedogenic ingredients clog the pores of your skin, which causes acne.
2. Formulation Matters: It is the formulation of the skincare products that turn the characteristics of the ingredients. The percentage of the comedogenic ingredients in skincare products also determines its impact.
3. The Extraction Process: The comedogenicity of the ingredients can vary depending on their extraction process. Purity and source of the raw materials can also affect the comedogenicity of the ingredients.
You should try to limit your exposure to these toxic ingredients, even if you can’t completely avoid them. Reading the ingredient list before choosing skincare products is one of the most effective methods to do so. Also, search for paraben and other harmful chemical-free dermatologically tested skincare products, like Lashika. Our no harm products soothe your skin and keep it healthy from within.